Need ur guys brilliant minds

Discussion in 'FaceWAN Random Discussion Room' started by o-m-f-g, Sep 3, 2007.

1. o-m-f-g Dragon Supervisor

ok.. I went to my friends house yesterday. He gave me his broken laptop for free. I was messin around with it and found the problems. 1broken HD. 2broken keyboard. 3rd and last the monitor LCD is shattered like glass. I dont care about 2 and 3 but i need help with 1.. the hard drive.. Can u run the laptop with a CD or a USB? if so plz post a detailed instruction.. Laptop specs.. MS 2000 pro/me....Compaq Presrio...i will post pics once i get time too.

2. o-m-f-g Dragon Supervisor

Dont Forget This Thread!

3. Chicken132 Extreme Meglomanic Staff Member

What the hell did your friend do to it, run it over with a truck?

If you have a spare monitor hanging around you can probably use that provided the laptop has a spare video out port.

I would recommend getting a HD to use with it they aren't too expensive anymore you can get a 40G for the same price as a full 3.5 60G.

Check out newegg.com for it, if the keyboard is smashed as well you'll need an external, and sooner or later a mouse for it as well. I've done the mouse on the laptop thing with an external keyboard before it isn't much fun.

Espeon suggests a linux Live Distro, I don't think it's a very good idea, you could probably use it, but it would suck pretty bad since nothing saves.

4. Rybec Member

Portalized Lead Writer
    Unless you have a thumbdrive, at which point the live distro should happily nest itself on there. The upside of that is you can take your whole setup anywhere with just the disk and thumbdrive, and use it in any computer.

If there's like an OEM or something near you, check there for old used notebook keyboards. Notebook HDDs, though, are available just about anywhere. Bust Buy, CompUSA, Office Max, etc.
    (An OEM-time store should have screens as well. Or an entire new case, complete with keyboard and screen.)
    (In case I make no damn sense, OEM is this store I've been to that sells just about anything electrical or other weird stuff. Those big red emergency shutoff switches, little flip switches, individual components, transformer parts, things that I don't know what the fuck they are, hydraulic/pneumatic rams, etc. It's like Radio Shack on steroids. And less clean.)

5. o-m-f-g Dragon Supervisor

eh... Linxus Live drive? anyone know the link to finding 1? and make sure its compatable with MS.. and a little more detail as to i downloaded something got to do with Live and put the CD into my HD*less Laptop... all that happens was operation bla on and on... and the main reason im trying to revive this laptop is that im trying to save $$$ and i looked around my city for a OEM but found nothing like it.. my city sukz

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007