[HOW TO] Make Yourself Sound Like GLaDOS!

Discussion in 'FaceWAN Random Discussion Room' started by Ember, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Ember Administrator

So today I got this program called Melodyne Studio made by Celemony. This program pretty much lets you do anything with sound, even make a horrible singer perfect, on-pitch.

So, I decided to record myself saying one of the GLaDOS quotes, and see what I could do with it in Melodyne.

What you need:
    GoldWave or Audacity or similar
    Celemony Melodyne Studio
    A good microphone
    Your imagination, and your voice.

1. First off install all the software. When installing Melodyne you can uncheck the checkboxes when it asks you if you want to install VST plugins and whatnot.

2. Record yourself in GoldWave or Audacity saying a GLaDOS quote, or something funny that you made up.

3. Save that recording as a WAV file to your desktop, can be named anything.

4. Fire up Melodyne and go through setting it up. Open your recording, and let it load.

5. Once loaded, press Select All (CTRL+A) all of the waveforms, and right click over any of the area. Keep right clicking and go over to the second icon in the pop up thing, and hover over the second one down in the new box. You can release your right click now.

6. Left click and drag the waveforms until all of them are flat and have no curve. When you are done, right click again and instead of the second icon down, select the first new icon down.

7. Double click on any one of the waveforms to adjust your voice's perceived pitch. You can also shift your voice's pitch up and down to make you sound like GLaDOS. If you unselect all of your notes, you can individually shift around your waveforms to perhaps give it a more GLaDOSsy feel.

8. At this point if you press the play button or the spacebar, your transformed voice will be played. While playing, you can make changes on the fly to it.

9. Save it as a WAV and enjoy your new GLaDOS quote!

Tomorrow night I'll post up some screenshots of the steps and have a sample of one of the quotes I made.

Enjoy!

2. o-m-f-g Dragon Supervisor

Heh, that's so awsome. I always wanted to sound like GLaDOS :D. Now I can have my GLaDOS voice in my video's.

Thanks Ember for finding this!