Increase Bandwidth by 20%!

Discussion in 'FaceWAN Random Discussion Room' started by ToxicGaming, Jun 29, 2012.

1. ToxicGaming Member

Windows uses 20% of your bandwidth Here's how to Get it back

Windows reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the ""

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Enable' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO.

This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

2. Five Member

Stop posting silly guides from forums you just joined!

3. nafrayu Super Moderator Staff Member

^ This

Ever seen windows tell you what your adapter speed is? Yes, it probably says 100 MBit/s, maybe even 1 GBit/s.
    100 MBit minus 20% is 80 MBit right? So unless you have a 100 MBit connection, this trick does NOTHING.

Oh and this is a Quality of Service... service, "reserved bandwidth" is actually misleading. QoS provides an interface for programs to request priority for their network packets, so they get sent through faster, even if the line is already saturated with other traffic.

[​IMG]

Windows XP Quality of Service (QoS) enhancements and behavior
    See "Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support"

Edit:
    I don't know if it is possible to use QoS for UDP connections - if yes, even the source engine may even use QoS to get priority on it's realtime data, setting this to 0 would then actually make things worse!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  4. ToxicGaming Member

Hey now! Lets not jump to conclusions, I joined this site 2 years ago and just recently started browsing it lol.
    [​IMG]

--The real reason I'm posting all of this stuff is to get people to be more active on the forums.

5. Furchee Yiff Staff Member

I don't think you understand what he's trying to say (which doesn't surprise me).
    He meant OTHER forums you recently joined from whom you're pulling this information.

If it's to get more people on here, I'm happy with that.

6. ToxicGaming Member

*Facepalm* I don't think you understand what I meant. That screenshot is of the date I joined the HF and when I said "this site" that is what I was referencing to.

7. Five Member

Toxic understood what I meant, but my point stands anyone could go to a hacking forum and post tons of exploits/tweaks, etc... and how dare you be inactive for 2 years, you could of learned so much.

8. ToxicGaming Member

Wasn't really interested in that site that much until now. I just started going back there because I knew the had some decent tutorials about coding and stuff so I got interested.

9. Five Member

What language and what are you trying to code?

10. ToxicGaming Member

Well, I started looking into C++ and have gotten some nice tutorials and videos off of there. Don't know exactly what I plan on doing with it, but I know this will help me get a jump start in school this year.

11. Uragan Veteran Stalker

I'm happy with this but try to make one interesting topic rather than a bunch. You're starting to look like a spam bot with all these random topics.