Help with Gmod 10 server

Discussion in 'General Server Discussion' started by Madgod24, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Madgod24 New Member

College Student
    I'm trying to set up a public garry's mod 10 server via srcds and I can't seem to get it to show up on the steam server list. People can join me through their friends list or connecting through the console, but that is about it. There is no new people :(. I was hoping someone could look this over and maybe tell me what could be causing this. Here is my attached server log.

Attached Files:

2. Madgod24 New Member

College Student
    bleh..........

3. nafrayu Super Moderator Staff Member

um, try to set your sv_tags to something unique, then search for it in the internet tab - that should show you wether it's listed or not

4. Madgod24 New Member

College Student
    I typed sv_tags madgod24 in the console, still could not find my server. I read on a forum from other people having similar issues that you would not be able to see your server in the internet tab, just the lan. So i tried having a couple friends find it and they could not find it even after i put it as a specific name, tags and region. How is it even possible that people can join only by having the ip and being able to join through the friends list but not find it on the server list. I had my server running for 24 hrs + and no one new joined the server. The server is fresh having no addons on it so it should be easier for people to join. I had my friend put in the wan ip i gave him and it instantly added it to his favorites, he could see the name and everything but he cannot find it in the internet tab. I have searched everywhere for a solution, tried commands like setmaster (doesnt work anymore apparently) and forwarded port 26901 on my router udp to the lan ip of my laptop. its been 5 days no solution :(

5. Madgod24 New Member

College Student
    to summarize that last post, pretty much the server is only viewable in history and favorites after manually putting in the server ip. Friends can join me by rightclicking on me in their friends list and hitting join game. Server cannot be found on the internet tab anywhere. I even tried putting my laptop on dmz, allowing all connections, disabling windows firewall, disabling symantec endpoint protection, allowing ICMP pings through the command prompt. Is it something to do with my router routing table? do i have to add an outbound port? Idk i read it on a forum could not really understand it.

btw my laptop is on a wireless connection, does a server need to run on a wired connection in order to be advertised to the master server list? If people can join via ip, it should be working right?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  6. nafrayu Super Moderator Staff Member

Could you post a screenshot of how your router is configured? It should look similiar to this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. nafrayu Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh and if you have multiple network adapters on your laptop, you will need to start the server with the -ip startup switch

I start mine like this, to make sure it runs on the adapter/port i want it to:

Just change the ip to your LAN-ip
    I use 27017 instead of 27015 for the ports because 27015 likes to conflict if you want to start the client on the same computer.

8. Madgod24 New Member

College Student
    These are the ports that were recommended through gmod wiki.<br>
    Windows Dedicated Server Setup - GMod Wiki

Here is my router configuration
    [​IMG]

the 192.168.254.23 is my laptop static ip, it is shown when the server starts up at ports 27015/27005

sorry for image quality, if you zoom in you will be able to see the port numbers

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  9. nafrayu Super Moderator Staff Member

Did you forward port 27015 TCP in that image? Because the source engine runs on port 27015 UDP.

Port 27015 TCP is for RCON connections - If you don't forward that, no one will be able to crash your server by spamming your server with RCON requests. But no one from the outside will be able to use rcon either.

edit:
    I just noticed, the wiki is wrong on this :eek:

edit 2:
    Wait i'm a dumbass :( Try forwarding only Port 27017 UDP, nothing else - thats how it works for me (Also start the server with the -port switch)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  10. Madgod24 New Member

College Student
    ok i will try that
    so forward port 27017 tcp and udp? then use -port 27017 for the server?

for some reason i find now that i get clients to connect, it displays their steam id/name ect. but then half a second later it says disconnect by user.

my fast dl is working perfectly because i downloaded cache/ect and so did my friends from it and it did not take long

11. nafrayu Super Moderator Staff Member

Your server appears to be visible then - what map are you running? Maybe those clients get disconnected because they already have a map with the same name, but different contents