Fuck Power Surge

Discussion in 'FaceWAN Random Discussion Room' started by o-m-f-g, Sep 1, 2007.

1. o-m-f-g Dragon Supervisor

today afternoon there was a Power Spike at a near by Transformer causing a power surge throgh my computer... It fried my comp power Transformer and my Variactor in the back.. Thank god my processor and other's were not damaged... cost for the fried item? a gay $120... should I bill the electric company?

2. Ember Administrator

Do you have insurance?

3. o-m-f-g Dragon Supervisor

no...but I have car insuance

4. Chicken132 Extreme Meglomanic Staff Member

How about your parents, they have home owners insurance that would cover it.

5. o-m-f-g Dragon Supervisor

Live by myself... parents live in Europe.. .

6. Rybec Member

Portalized Lead Writer
    You can try calling the power company and asking them to cover your damages, but unless their contract actually says they'll pay for damages caused by surges, I doubt they'll do anything.

Something I've learned: In this day and age of everyone suing everyone for no real reason, just start throwing a big angry fit and the company will give you're asking for for fear of a lawsuit. But only if THEY made a mistake somewhere, like having a power surge, or accidentally selling you two computer parts that don't work together, when you were told they would (Then having a "no open box returns on computer parts" policy due to morons fscking things up), or something of the sort.

So just call them up, be polite, then when they say no, start throwing a big angry fit.

7. o-m-f-g Dragon Supervisor

o how nice of them to mail me and tell me what ele appliance was damaged and it they will cover my electric bill for up to the cost of damage.. WHOOO free ELE!

8. Rybec Member

Portalized Lead Writer
    That's a good compromise.
    Make sure you tell them the whole computer got fried, then claim it was full of uber hardware worth thousands of dollars.

Then use the extra more money savings from your outrageous claim to buy a surge protector/Uninterpretable Power Supply power strip and plug all your comp-related stuff into it, to prevent future mishap. That way, not only will a surge not kill your comp, you'll have time enough to shut it down properly if there's ever a power failure while you're using it.