Help Thread

Discussion in 'Garry's Mod 9' started by K00bes, Jan 17, 2008.

1. K00bes Ozzeh Teh Pianist

Aspiring Musician?
    I am creating this thread, so people can just check here for answers to their queries, rather than searching through old posts, and/or posting new questions. Feel free to suggest some.

=Mods=
    Installed Mods and Downloads thread here

1. Help! My mods aren't working.
    -Make sure you correctly extracted them to your gmod9\mods directory.
    -Make sure its a Gmod9 Mod!
    -Sometimes it takes a while for your mods to actually get into the game, because of the modcache. So it may not always be there first run. (You could try deleting the modcache)

2. Where do I put my mods?
    -Open windows explorer ('Windows' key + 'E')
    -Go to C: -> Program Files -> Steam -> Steamapps -> Sourcemods -> Gmod9 -> Mods. Or you can copy and paste this into the address bar: C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Sourcemods\Gmod9\Mods.
    -If you installed your steam a while ago, after Program Files, you may have to go into Valve, then Steam.
    -Open an new explorer, and find the mod you want.
    -Rightclick on it, and whilst holding it, drag to the Mods folder.
    -Then let go, and click "Extract Here"

Err, what program is compatible with .ZIP and .RAR files?
    -WinRAR is probably your best shot, if you would like a link, then here it is! WinRAR

=Gameplay=
    1. How do I play Garry's Mod?
    -Press 'Q' to open the ingame menu. This will show you the tools on the right, and a prop list on the left. Experiment and enjoy!

2.How do I fly?
    -It's not really flying, it's called Noclip. Just press "y" as if you were typing to speak, then type "!noclip" (without the "") and you should fly. You cannot noclip if it is disabled, in which case you should get a message saying "Noclip Disabled" or something along those lines.

Here are some useful video tutorials for creating things in Garry's Mod 9.
    How to make a cannon - .
    How to make a catapult - .
    How to make a drivable car -

3. How do I take a screenshot?
    -First, choose the shot you want.
    -Second, press the "Print Screen/SysRq" key above the insert and delete keys on your keyboard.
    -Next, open an imaging editing program, such as Microsoft Paint, GIMP, or Photoshop.
    -Next, press 'Ctrl' + 'V' to paste, or go to the bar on the top, Click Edit, then Paste.
    -Finally, save the file. We recommend creating a folder for all your screenshots (So they are all in one place), choosing a suitable filename (So you can remember when it was taken) and saving it in a .jpg/.jpeg file format is reccomended, as it is alot smaller than .bmp, therefore easier for transferring around.

4. I have made a really good creation, how do I save it?
    -First off, open the console with the "¬" key. If it does not work, press "Esc", then click Options. Click on controls, then advanced. Make sure "Enable Developers Console (~)" is ticked.
    -Next, type "cgload" in the console. This will give you the CopyGun SWEP (Scripted Weapon Entity Producer).
    -Select all the parts of your creation, by shooting them with the primary fire.
    -Selected props will turn green.
    -After you have selected everything, open the console back up, and type "cgsave <nameofyourcreation>" (Without the <>).
    -If you want to load it up, make sure you have the copygun.
    -Then, type "cgload <nameofyourcreation>" (Without the <>).
    -Shoot with secondary fire, once to spawn that creation.

5. Whats all this -e_stack/-e_translate rubbish?
    -e_stack is an entity command used to stack props.
    -e_translate is an entity command used to translate, or move props.
    -e_setrot, is an entity command used to set the rotation of props.
    -e_swep_selectgun gives you the selectgun SWEP, which is used to select the props you wish to use entity commands on.
    -e_select is an entity command used to select props on which you wish to use the entity commands on. This is the slow way.
    -There are other, more technical entity commands, but some are admin only.
    -If you type -e_help, as if you were going to say it, and press enter, a menu should come up, this will explain how to do everything. Forward (Default = 'W') to go up in the menu, Backwards (Default = 'S') to go down. Primary Shoot to select that choice.

6. How do I animate ragdolls?
    -Well you can't animate them in game, apart from "pose" them, using the physics gun, to the position you want.
    -The only other in-game way, would to be spawn them as NPCs.
    -You can play, and create your own custom animations using "Face Poser", located in Source SDK. Here is a
    tutorial on how to create your First FacePoser Scene.
    - Link

7. OMFG MY GMOD GOES JAPANESE!!
    -Open the console, type Net_graph3, and press return.

8. What is the password for the Gmod9 Private Server, and the Gmod9 Ultra Private Server?
    -You need to be a FaceWAN Premium member (Administrator) to get the password to this.
    -Look at
    The Other Players section, Question 5. for information on how to become an administrator.

=Other Players=
    1. Someone is wrecking my creations/Someone is killing me!
    -Report them via this forum in the Garrys Mod 9 Ban Requests section, under the Ban Requests part of the forum. here, with good evidence. e.g several screenshots. (Make sure you read the information first.
    -If an admin is on the server, and have not done anything about it, ask them to do something, they might not be looking all the time.

2. I have been banned! What now?
    -Well, you have been banned for breaking the rules. If you try to connect, you will be able to, but you cannot spawn, then after 5 seconds you are kicked. This should tell you the reason why you are banned in the console.
    -If you would like to appeal, then go to the ban request page, and click on the "Unban-Thread". Here is a link.

3. An admin is breaking the rules!/Not banning a killer!
    - Not banning? Make sure they actually are not "Away From Keyboard". Or too busy to notice, by politely asking them about the killer.
    - Killing? Just report them as your would in the Garry's Mod 9 Ban Request thread here. Be sure to include lots of evidance, and be sure to tell us that they are an admin.

4. Someone wants me to join their group/I want to join someones group, what does it do?
    -When you join someones group, you share your props, meaning they can move your props, and you can move theirs, as if they were your own.
    -This is useful for creating things with two or more people.

5. Can I be admin?
    -If you would like admin, you have to donate to FaceWAN. It doesn't run for free, you know! Here is a link see the details on getting admin (Make sure your logged in before you click the link).
    - Here is a link to see Basic vs Full Admin.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  2. bladeboys New Member

hey i got the gmod go japanese , i typed in net_graph 3 and i return to game nothing happened,i just see numbers changing bottom right on my screen.:confused::confused::confused:

3. Sharigan Administratorz Staff Member

Make sure you type it in the console, and then restart your game.

4. bladeboys New Member

of course,when you restart gmod eveything will be fixed.but later it will go jap again?

5. Ember Administrator

If you enable net_graph 3, then it won't do text corruption again.

6. Sharigan Administratorz Staff Member

If you did it correctly and you restart, you see stats on the bottom of your screen, mainly displaying your fps.

7. bladeboys New Member

oh thanks you both =) yeh,now it works.it wont go jap again! greatly appreaciated :)

8. Gliftor New Member

I downloaded Gmod plus final unzipped it and put it C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\gmod9\mods

and its not working, please help
    and restarted steam

9. Ember Administrator

Delete the contents of the -modcache folder and restart Gmod9.

10. Renardsavira FaceWAN Premium Full

I print and desighn Tshirts for my custom graphic
    wtf i jsut tryed gmod server one and it sayed my game did not match! and only 2 admins are on amber and crumple help

EDIT: wtf it says for patcher it couldent find the gameinfo

EDIT: EDIT: btw nice song on there

EDIT: EDIT: EDIT: it works nvm!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  11. laserpanda New Member

A quick question about the copy gun, I downloaded and am using it in SP, but I can't make it copy my welds, just the structure, so it falls apart.
    Ive tried using the welder tool that comes with it but i don't really understand how it works.

12. l337Espeon Administrator Staff Member

FaceWAN Network Administrator
    Copygun does not copy welds, it only copies the props, that's it.

13. laserpanda New Member

for some reason they always seem to spaz out as soon as i move a copy after welding it. Do I have to use nocollide on everything again?

Also how do you use the copygun welder?

14. l337Espeon Administrator Staff Member

FaceWAN Network Administrator
    As I said, copygun ONLY copies props, no welds, color, material, nocollide, etc. will be kept.

About the copygun welder, I really haven't used it that much, so I don't know.

15. laserpanda New Member

One more question, where can i get the nocollide tool you use on your servers?

16. smiffy Member

High School Junior
    under SWEP weapons menu.

17. Dark_Hero Member

when using the copygun there are a few simple commands like
    -cgload copygun
    -cgsave <name>
    -cgload <name>
    -cgpreview 1/0 (turns ghost preview on or off)
    -cgfrozen 1/0 (spawn the copied props frozen or unfrozen)
    -cgrot -180/180 (rotates the ghost preview)

use the "-" infront when typing in chat in console ya dont need the "-"

and when you want to use groupwelder make all props nocollide with the nocollide swep (prevents the server from crashing or lagging when unfreezing the props)
    to groupweld them shoot them with the groupweld pistol(swep) so they turn green like the copygun then right click and all green props will be welded together
    AND NEVER GROUPWELD MORE THEN 30 PROPS IN ONCE or server will crash or lag hardcore(even 30 is a lil bit to much)
    btw ropes,elastics,thrusters,welds,axis etc. cant be copied only with vmfcopygun (so ive heard i never use it)
    And when saving large contraptions (+50 props) turn of the ghostpreview when selecting the props so server doesnt crash or lag(again)
    And type your -cgsave or load in console or everyone knows the name of your patterns when you type it in chat (and they can use them to)
    I think i explained all that i know about the copygun and groupwelder exept...
    when using copygun start selecting the lowest props or the patterns will spawn in the air or underground

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  18. Chrisspitz Member

You said -cgload twice :)

19. Divine Mage Member

Hey whatsup,

Do I need Half life 2, Half life2 deathmatch, and Counter Strike source to play gmod?

Cuz I only have Half life 2 Deathmatch

Pls Respond :cool:

20. smiffy Member

High School Junior
    Unless you want all the props and no screw ups, then you should get all of them.