DooM 4

Discussion in 'FaceWAN Random Discussion Room' started by Brainles5, May 18, 2016.

1. Brainles5 FaceWAN Premium Full

Review - Spoiler free

The best first person shooter I've played since Bioshock. And the things it does so well and makes me think so highly of it, it probably does better than Bioshock. Level design, shooting mechanics and pacing are probably the best I've seen in any first person shooter in a long time. It comes together amazingly! The level design is like that of old school shooters where the maps are big and open filled with secrets, but if you just want to run through the level mindlessly slaughtering demons that is an option too, with the exception of the occasional environmental puzzles which offer some nice change of pace!

Single player is a perfect 11/10

Now for the less positive things.

Then theres the multiplayer... which is... eh... there, and okay. It would have been better if they just made a simple online mode using the mechanics of the single player and weapon pick ups. But instead they have this call of duty progress system with load outs and convoluted game modes which you can't change the rule set of, the studio they brought in essentially just added stuff to the online mode that made it worse, its quite odd really.
    THERE IS NO CAPTURE THE FLAG OR DEATHMATCH!

There is a neat addition called SnapMap which allows you to create levels which can be played with up to 4 others. You can create some really amazing stuff by connecting logic and nodes to triggers and entities yadda yadda. But unfortunately you have very little control over the actual level design as you can only place pre built rooms and then fill them with props in a manner similar to Halo's forge editor. If this existed along with proper modding tools that would have been amazing as I do quite like the SnapMap editor ultimately and I hope there will be a community around it. But I would still have preferred modding tools.

This review might come of as negative, but I am really enjoying most if it in the end and the single player makes up for not just the flaws of this game, but also for the lack of anything like it the last decade.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  2. cheenis FaceWAN Premium Full

Verified WinRAR License Owner
    I never side with IGN but they made a good point on how it tries to be 2 different games. However your review pretty much nails how the experience is.

3. Uragan Veteran Stalker

As far as I know, the multiplayer was outsourced to a developer that didn't really have any experience making decent things. I'm honestly not bothered by multiplayer being shit though, I bought the game for singleplayer and I was not disappointed.